Monday, July 11, 2011

Freedom, Can We Hold Onto It?

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” ~Ronald Reagan
As I think about the state of our country and economy, I can’t help but think of this quote from Ronald Reagan.  Could our country be on the verge of falling apart when we “pass it to our children”? Do the majority of American people really even care or realize what’s happening in this country?
I’ve often felt that there is a lot of apathy in this country when it comes to politics.   A general “I don’t vote, so don’t blame me” mentality.  That our freedom is just being taken for granted.  And, usually, when you take something for granted…you lose it. It makes me think about that old saying, “You never know what you have, until it’s gone”.  But, in this case, I believe that once the America we know is gone, it may be too late.
Today is day 803, since our country has passed a budget. All because there are too many people in Congress who care more about spending money on their little pet projects, than about the future of America.  Government programs and spending are out of control!  Now don’t get me wrong. There are real, legitimate programs that need funding. But, I’m getting tired of the government telling me that I need to sacrifice and budget my money, when they obviously don’t even understand the concept of the word budget! I read an opinion piece over the weekend by Brandon Greife, which really summed it up for me. He said,
 Our federal government is like a teenager who has been handed the keys to a high-performance sports car. Over the past several decades the car has been picking up speed, recklessly testing the limits of our nation’s credit, and now it’s careening toward a debt crisis.” (You can read the rest of Brandon Greife's article on foxnews.com by clicking here)

Well said Mr. Greife! Now someone needs to tell Congress to put on the brakes


God Bless!
Mandy Sonnier

No comments:

Post a Comment